A Brief History
In 1713, George Gabriel established a settlement “at the mouth of Penn’s Creek.” That, of course, would be where Selinsgrove is today. It became known as Gabriel’s Plantation, and is generally thought to be the first white settlement on the west bank of the Susquehanna River.
Two Men and Two Dreams
The dream Shikellamy had is known, whereby Conrad Weiser, the very influential interpreter who controlled much of the settlement of Selinsgrove and surrounding area, handed over his prized Pennsylvania rifle to the Onondaga chief. Not to be outdone when it came to dreams, Weiser related his nocturnal vision that had Shikellamy presenting Weiser with the Isle of Que. Wisely, after the exchange, Shikellamy solemnly said, “Let’s neither of us dream no more.”
In May, 1776, a Swiss soldier of fortune captained an independent corps per order of General George Washington. To Washington, the captain was probably just another much-needed officer. But he was much more significant. He was Anthony Selin. After Revolutionary forces under Washington accepted the surrender of the British at Yorktown, Virginia, in 1783, Selin resigned his commission and moved to the area that would and still does bear his name – Selinsgrove, although it would be many years before it would be so called.
Simon Snyder, for whom Snyder County, Pennsylvania was named was one of Susquehanna River Valley’s most illustrious citizens. He was Pennsylvania’s third governor and a resident of Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania. His 1816 home on Market Street currently houses the Selin’s Grove Brewing Pub. Snyder, who had little formal education and no family political connections rose from obscurity to serve three terms as Governor from 1808-1817. Snyder’s life and times continue to be of interest to local, state and national historians. read more…
There is good reason Susquehanna University is located in Selinsgrove. Community visionaries saw the benefit of an institution of higher learning and led the drive for local support that raised $22,500 to bring the Missionary Institute (as it was known when it was first chartered in 1858) to town. The successful fundraising led to Selinsgrove Hall being named in honor of the community, which officially became a borough on September 24, 1853.
Historic Selinsgrove Photo Gallery
The buildings are arranged in a north-to-south order.