The Keeley Building
101 N. Market Street
→ An original wood frame structure on this site was owned by Zacharias Keeley.
→ At the time of the Great Fire of 1874 it was rented to photographer J.A. Clopp and was destroyed.
→ Keeley erected this structure in 1877 on the ruins of his previous building. He was a construction contractor who erected many buildings in Selinsgrove in the latter half of the 19th century. Keeley owned a sash factory, a planing mill, and a brick yard.
→ Other owners were Dr. Howard Straub, then Fred Reichley and his daughter Mary Ann Pinand. The building is now owned by Pat and Beverley Owens.
→ The Keeleys, father and son Chauncey, operated a clothing store on these premises from circa 1890 to 1930.
→ Over the years many businesses and activities were housed in this structure:
- lodge rooms of the Patriotic Order Sons of America were in the upper floors
- Chauncey Keeley conducted a music school there
- perhaps most bizarrely, a confectioner and undertaking business shared space there
- in 1913 one of Selinsgrove’s earliest telephone exchanges was located in a first floor room
- currently, the building consists of several apartments
Selinsgrove Historical Association